Thursday, November 21, 2013

DIY Flavored Lip Balms & Crayon Lip Color

I've seen the videos before, but I finally decided to try it. I made lip colors with Crayola crayons! It was very cool and super easy to do. I looked for a very simple recipe and found one with only 2 ingredients; crayons and coconut oil! I used the video below from Madisradd to help me out with the process. :) There are other videos out there and you can add other ingredients as well. Go take a look on YouTube! I also made some easy flavored lip balms too. I've got a base mixture that is easy to melt and add too. I decided to do this mostly because it looked really interesting, but also because Christmas is coming up and I thought my 6 year old niece would get a kick out of the idea that I made some of these from crayons. lol I am making her an advent calendar this year. I will be doing a post on that soon too! :) I thought she would love receiving these as some of her little gifts.


First thing... you need a container!
I emptied out old and/or cheap makeup that I didn't use anymore. I was left with some great little jars and also eye shadow palettes. You can also buy containers in many online stores or craft stores! I will probably have a post up later about reusing old containers and how to clean them for use in "depoting" other products. :)


Next I got some of the things I needed according to the video. A pot and small glass container to melt my ingredients, measuring spoons and a stirring stick. Of course, don't forget your crayons! I also have a lip balm base (white jar with pink lid) and decide to make some flavored lip balms. The base is from Elements Bath and Body. To add color and shimmer to those lip balms, I sometimes use lipsticks (or in this case a cream blush stick) or eye shadows. The base is ready to add to and easy to melt.


To make the balms with the base from EBB, I also use candy flavorings and this pipette to put the mixture into the containers. :) The flavoring oils are very cheap and I bought them at Walgreens. There was a pretty big flavor selection. I have things like peppermint, watermelon, tangerine, mango, strawberry and banana cream. As a note, make sure not to get the melted base too hot before adding an oil. It makes it separate and not mix very well. You might see little bubbles of flavor oil.

 
My finished products! At the top is 4 different crayon lip colors. The swatches are below. The colors ended up being pretty buildable. I found that the blue was very soft. Perhaps from having too much coconut oil and not enough wax? I filled two tiny jars with the coral and light purple colors to add to my niece's advent calendar (one is at bottom right). I made the dark purple with crayons for myself. All of these obviously smell like coconut. The other lip balms in the center and to the right are made from the meltable base from EBB. The dark pink has the cream blush added to it for color and a little bit of hot pink eye shadow to make it shimmery. I added blueberry and pomegranate flavor oil too it. The lighter color just had a light pink eye shadow that added a little color and shimmer. I added butterscotch flavor to that one! It's brown, so it changed the color slightly.


No comments:

Post a Comment