Thursday, December 5, 2013

Staying Organized: Bathroom Edition

I love to organize things! I am big on finding storage containers and organizing things by size/shape or type of item. I have so much make up, hair accessories, jewelry and nail products that it's easy to clutter up my small bathroom. I made my dad install a large shelf to hang over the toilet so that I could put things away! You will soon see why I definitely needed it! Keeping things organized makes getting ready to face the day much easier. Perhaps this post will give you some ideas on how you can keep your bathroom a little more organized! While you are out holiday shopping, keep an eye out for neat ways to organize the spaces in your house. :)

Figure one. The life saving cabinet. As you can see, it's pretty full! Before this bad boy was attached to the wall, most of this stuff was shoved into a drawer in my vanity! It was nearly impossible to find anything and it looked terrible. We purchased this at Home Depot. I want to say this one was around $100. We had the option of some cheaper ones, but this one matched the new vanity we had installed a year prior. There were a few options between $60 and $80 too. To better organize some of the things inside, I have a little white plastic container bought from Dollar Tree. I also have some pop-up paper organizers that I bought very cheap on Ebay. I believe they came from Korea. I am looking for a better method now though! My lip products and mascara and eyeliner collections have tripled in size since I bought them. They are bursting at the seams. lol So, in this cabinet we have some various things at the top. It's kind of the miscellaneous shelf. There are cotton balls and makeup sponges, my collection of face masks, my moisturizers and lotions, nail polish remover and my makeup remover wipes. In the middle shelf, I have some bigger eyeshadow palettes and the plastic container is full of smaller palletes that I don't use as often. I'll get to where I put the other ones soon. ;) There are also a few single shadows there as well. In the bottom shelf that is left exposed after the doors are closed, I have my small fragrance collection, my eyeliners and mascaras in the first paper organizer and then my lipsticks and glosses in the second one. On the far right there are some things that don't fit anywhere either. Some lip products, a couple powders and false lashes.

Moving down and onto the vanity, I have this little organizer with drawers. I stole it from the craft room! It used to have pens and markers inside. I thought it was better suited to hold my makeup. lol After this picture was taken I added a few more things, but I'll explain. :) At the top I have my primers, concealers and my go to eyeliner pencil. I also have a foundation and BB cream there. My eyelash curler is always on the far right and and ready to go too! In the area under the pop up lid, I put the powders I use most often. There is also a tiny blush there now. The first drawer is where I keep all of my brushes! In the second drawer I have all of the small eyeshadow palettes that I use most often. There are 6 small palettes inside there at the moment... I was surprised how much I could fit into this little drawer! In the last drawer I have my collection of cream shadow pencils and pots. After the picture was taken, I added 3 different bronzers on one side. They still all fit in there rather nicely. We are just going to ignore the bracelet and the triple antibiotic cream I left on top. That is no way to stay organized! I love this little drawer container because it fit perfectly on the edge of the vanity. It's right there when I need everything. Very little hassle when I am looking for things.

Over to the medicine cabinet! I don't own very many hair styling products or meds... or else there might be more to look at. lol At the bottom I have my hairspray, mousse, pot of q-tips and the mouth wash has been swapped out for a dry shampoo. The next one up has a random collection of things, like an anti-frizz hair cream, band-aids, and floss! Up top is an old kabuki and powder foundation that don't have a place among my other makeup. lol On the knob, I hang some necklaces and headbands that I don't want to get tangled up in where they usually are stored. This is probably the least interesting part of my bathroom... This area doesn't seem to have any sort of direction.

On the back of my door is this neat jewelry organizer that I bought for $8 at Big Lots. It has 12 small open pockets at the top and 3 long zipper pockets at the bottom. This is where I put most of my "costume" jewelry. If I didn't have this... I have no idea where all of this would be right now. It scares me to think about it!! I store many different bracelets and rings in the top pockets and then long necklaces in the bottom ones. I also hang some of my sunglasses off the top. They are much better protected here. I've had the dogs eat them before. lol

This little earring tree is now located safely on top of the dresser in my closet. I can't tell you how many times it has been knocked over onto the floor or into the sink. If only I had more space on my vanity. At least the poor thing is safe now! I really do enjoy it though. It keeps all my earrings in clear view. I also like that I can put things in the little dish at the base of the tree. My mom bought this for me as a gift for Christmas a few years back. I believe it was around $10 at Family Dollar. :)

Top drawer of the vanity! This is where all of my hair accessories live. There are two more of the plastic Dollar Tree containers in here. I have hair ties in the bottom one and then some of my hair clips/barrettes in the top one. The rest of the space is occupied by my many headbands and hair bows! This drawer can be hard to keep organized. The headbands can be a pain! I'm not sure I have any other way to store them at the moment, but Pinterest is always full of creative ideas.

The bottom vanity drawer is where all of my nail products go. Two more Dollar Tree plastic containers hold my mini and standard sized polishes, as well as my detail brushes and other little nail accessories. My clippers, files and all that jazz are here too. :) Right now I have so many polishes that they don't fit inside the container anymore. Something else I have to work on... bigger container! lol I like just pulling them right out of the drawer and sorting through to pick my colors. I can bring them up onto the counter and see them better in the light. Plus I won't have to be hurting my back by bending over and trying to dig into the drawer.

Last, but not least... under the sink. I have a huge makeup palette, travel makeup bags, bath stuff, a nail dryer, hair dryer, flat iron... all the big stuff I don't want to look at on a daily basis! There isn't a whole lot of room, so I added a little basket at the bottom to better organize the small things. I have some bath salts, spare razors and similar things there. The bigger things are stacked as nicely as possible. My hair styling tools are located in the back right corner. There is a taller cube container from the Dollar Tree that they sit inside of. That keep the cords from getting tangled and them from getting lost in there!

Well, I hope that this might have given you an idea or two on how you can make a small space hold a lot more stuff than it is supposed to. ;) So far, this system is working quite nicely for me. Someday soon I will have to revamp the shelf where my lip products and mascaras are... they are slowly taking over! I'll be on the look out for more cheap containers! I always check at places like Dollar Tree, Dollar General, Family Dollar and Big Lots. I can usually find the best deals there. If not those places, Walmart or Meijer will be there to back me up. I also like to shop around and then look for deals on Ebay. That can sometimes be your best bet. :) Take care and enjoy your holiday shopping! I hope everyone had a blessed Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment