Monday, October 14, 2013

DIY Dog Birthday Cake!

My dog, Jää, just turned 3 years old on the 13th! I decided that this year I should make him a birthday cake and celebrate with all 4 of our dogs. :) I found a dog safe recipe online! The only ingredient that I had to buy was the whole wheat flour. So I only spent a little over $3.00 to get this cake done! You can find the recipe and directions that I used, here. For the frosting I used peanut butter and a cottage cheese (which makes it harder to spread, just fyi!). You could probably use this recipe for doggy cupcakes too!

Ingredients

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ cup natural peanut butter
¼ cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup honey
1 cup shredded carrots
1 egg

I pre-heated the oven to 350 and got started on shredding my carrot and then mixing in all the ingredients. I then put my brownish mixture into a greased 8 inch cake pan. I let it bake for about 30 minutes. Use a tooth pick or knife to slide it into the cake. If it comes out clean, the cake is done!


I made my little cake into a simple shape... a cat head! lol I cut out a portion on the top for the ears and then cut of all the edges to give the face a slimmer, but still round appearance. It also got off the dryer and crustier edges of the cake. Then I mixed up some peanut butter and cottage cheese for the frosting. I waited a while for the cake to cool, then used a rubber spatula to spread it on. I was a little messy and difficult since the "frosting" is a bit chunky. It also looked gross... but still tasted pretty good. After all, it's only peanut butter and cottage cheese!

The finished and messy product! I used 2 dog bones to make the cat face. :) I wish the frosting mixture was easier to spread, but I figured that the dogs didn't care what it looked like! Maybe if I would have put it in the microwave for a little while, it would have been easier.

Here is the video of my two loves enjoying some of the cake! Jää is the blue merle taking his time licking the frosting and his sister, Tuli, is the black tri-color that is inhaling it. lol

No comments:

Post a Comment