Monday, October 7, 2013

Top 5 Favorite Book Series!

This rabbit loves to read! It seems like everything is in a series these days... and I found it beyond difficult to pick books that weren't in one. I think they are all pretty different too. This will give you a good idea about the types of books I like to read. What's funny is that all of these have been made into movies, with the exception of #2... which was made into a play. So, without further ado...

1. Harry Potter


Harry Potter is a series of seven fantasy novels written by the British author J. K. Rowling. The books chronicle the adventures of a wizard, Harry Potter, and his friends Ronald Weasley and Hermione Granger, all of whom are students at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The main story arc concerns Harry's quest to overcome the Dark wizard Lord Voldemort, whose aims are to become immortal, conquer the wizarding world, subjugate non-magical people, and destroy all those who stand in his way, especially Harry Potter.

My all time favorite without a single doubt in this world is the Harry Potter series. I grew up with Harry and I adore every single character, good guy or bad guy. The characters are dynamic... by the end they have all changed in some great way. These books made me laugh, made me cry... made me want to strangle J.K. Rowling. lol I love the movies and you must visit The Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando! It was truly magical! My first love was Draco Malfoy, but I soon grew to adore Neville Longbottom too. This series is full of adventure. There are great twists and turns. There is death, there is life, love, hate, prejudice, corruption, growth. It's good, good, goooood!

2. Montmorency


The Montmorency Series are a set of Victorian era crime novels focused on an ex-convict turned spy named Montmorency written by Eleanor Updale.

I found the first book at Walmart on sale for $2.99... I am so glad I picked it up. I had no idea about the rest of the series for years afterward. I read the first book about 5 times over... I very, very rarely do that. I am the type to read once and move on. Something about this one captured me! There are currently 4 books with a possible 5th. The first book starts off with a criminal running away from police, but falling through a glass roof onto machinery below. He would have died if not for a doctor (Farcett) who sews him back up and uses him as an exhibit for medical gatherings. Once the prisoner is freed from prison, he adopts the new identity of Scarper. He starts his life of crime again... but this time he uses the new sewer system! Totally gross... brave man. lol He lives in the slums and saves money with help from his burglaries, gambling and new friends (Lord George Fox-Selwyn). He starts to live a double life... he also becomes Montmorency. He's a rich and rather handsome fellow that loves shopping for himself. ;) lol I was just so excited to watch this man transform from Scarper to Montmorency and back again. As the series progresses, Montmorency really makes a name for himself in high society. He works for the government and makes many new friends. What I like a lot about this series is that it isn't just always what Montmorency is doing. You get to read in Dr. Farcett and Fox-Selwyn's point of views, plus a couple more characters as the series moves on! You get to see M hit rock bottom, Dr. Farcett get a little looney and you get to meet Fox-Selwyn's family in Scotland. Montmorency even visits America!

3. The Hunger Games


The Hunger Games is a 2008 science fiction novel by the American writer Suzanne Collins. It is written in the voice of 16-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives in the post-apocalyptic nation of Panem in North America. The Capitol, a highly advanced metropolis, exercises political control over the rest of the nation. The Hunger Games are an annual event in which one boy and one girl aged 12–18 from each of the twelve districts surrounding the Capitol are selected by lottery to compete in a televised battle to the death.

It took me a long time to decided to pick these up. I questioned it and questioned it until I saw that they were making the movie. I thought that was a sign... if it's good enough to be a movie, the book should be interesting right? I am pretty sure that this was the first time I had really read a dystopian/post-apocalyptic type book. It sparked a lot of curiosity into my mind. I thought the idea of people allowing the government to throw their children into a battle field to kill each other was quite insane. lol The story is very interesting though. I was hooked rather quickly. Katniss always made me so mad that she was so stubborn! I loved Peeta right away. I own a Peeta t-shirt now... yep. Watching the characters and their relationships morph and change from beginning to end was fun and sometimes a little heartbreaking. Some of the people of the capitol are nuts. Seeing them come alive in the movie adaption was awesome. Reading about these kids struggling to survive tugged on my heart strings and freaked me out a little. I could not imagine living in this society! I'm a whimp! I'd be the first one dead if my name was drawn. lol Seeing the people of the districts with so much hope after Katniss tries to spark a revolution was great and rather inspiring.



4. Percy Jackson and the Olympians


The gods of Olympus are alive in the 21st Century. They still fall in love with mortals and have children who might become great heroes, but most of these children meet horrible fates at the hands of monsters by the age of twelve. Only a few learn the truth of their identity and make it to Half Blood Hill, a Long Island summer camp dedicated to training young demigods. Such is the revelation that launches young Percy Jackson on a quest to help his real father, Poseidon, avert a war among the gods. With the help of Grover the satyr and Annabeth the daughter of Athena, Percy must journey across the United States to catch a thief who has stolen the original weapon of mass destruction - Zeus’ master bolt. Along the way, they face a host of mythological enemies determined to stop them. Most of all, Percy must come to terms with a father he has never known, and an Oracle that has warned him of betrayal by a friend.

I found this box set at a consignment store when I went out with my mom when day. I begged her to buy it for me, but it was too pricey for her at the time... about a week later she surprised me by bringing it home and saying it was half off! lol The summary above is just the first book. As the series goes on it really gets interesting as Percy tries to save the world with his demigod and even some human friends. I've always had a thing for mythology. I really enjoyed going on an adventure with Percy and meeting all the gods and monsters. In the other books you'll join them on many quests that lead up to the final battle with the Titans. I thought this series was pretty cool since they are mixing modern society with the likes of Zues. I think these are aimed for the younger sort, but I am a kid at heart... so I loved it. lol They were fun reads, for sure.

5. Nancy Drew


Nancy Drew is a fictional character in a mystery fiction series created by publisher Edward Stratemeyer. The character first appeared in 1930; the books have been ghostwritten by a number of authors and are published under the collective pseudonym Carolyn Keene. Over the decades the character has evolved in response to changes in US culture and tastes. Nancy Drew is a fictional amateur sleuth. In the original versions of the series she was a 16-year-old high school graduate, and in later versions was rewritten and aged to be an 18-year-old high school graduate and detective. In the series, she lives in the fictional town of River Heights with her father, attorney Carson Drew, and their housekeeper, Hannah Gruen. As a child she lost her mother (at age 10 in the original versions; at age 3 in the later versions). As a teenager she spends her time solving mysteries, some of which she stumbles upon and some of which begin as cases of her father's. Nancy is often assisted in solving mysteries by her two closest friends, Bess Marvin and George Fayne, and also occasionally by her boyfriend, Ned Nickerson, who is a college student at Emerson College.

I love Nancy... I wish I was totally awesome like her. There are quite a few Nancy Drew series out now. I've read books from all of them expect the ones made for young children. I think Nancy is a pretty great role model. This woman is magical though... she excels at everything! The only thing that ever bothered me was that they would always mention Bess being hungry all the time and bigger than Nancy and George. The illustrations never made her look chubby at all though. lol In the more modern series that is all changed. Bess is said to be curvy and popular amongst the guys. GO BESS! I did really enjoy seeing how they made the characters catch up to the time they were written. The first 56 books were reprinted a few times and updated slightly, but then they made new series with all new stories. I think there is a Nancy Drew book for people of all ages now. I have been collecting them for a while and I own books from 1930 to the early 2000's. :) I also play the very cool PC games made by Her Interactive. I have a Nancy Drew tumblr blog too!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. and Nancy loves you. <3
      I remember playing our first ND game... Treasure in the Royal Tower... such sweet childhood memories. lol

      Delete